Friday, October 3, 2008

Onforce discriminatory practices???

If you never heard about Onforce, they claim to be an online platform / marketplace that connects computer repair services and IT consulting professionals with the consumers needing those services. They work across the US and Canada.

Well, we decided to give it a shot and join just to explore the endless opportunities for business growth and just for networking possibilities. We signed up back in 2007.

A part of the provider account setup process is that you add your skills, verify any pertinent computer certifications and take their online tutorials about the service. In order to have your service profile activated you have to complete their platform 101 training and exam online. In essence, this platform 101 and 102 it’s just series of simple questions pertaining to their service features, rules, etc. Surprisingly they don’t even have their own credentialing system and use www.surveymonkey.com online survey service to collect and store this info. I found this very odd, especially that they call themselves a platform.

Long story short, I added all of my pertinent computer certifications (Microsoft, Comptia) to my service profile and to my astonishment I hit a roadblock when attempting to “pass” their 102 and 102 tests!?!

I followed their procedures to the T, took their online tests though survey monkey and after having waited a week I decided to follow up since there was NO signs of any confirmation of tests. I contacted them via email and they responded pretty promptly, but the robotic email just advised to go through online training and complete the platform 101 test AGAIN!
I emailed them back asking if they had any records of my test results, but I didn’t hear back at all. Oh well.

After a week, I took the bullet and decided to take the 101 test again and in order to get to it you have to go though the tutorial again. So I took another 30-45 min to do so. Then took the test and this time around I saved the survey monkey URL, which seems to be unique.

The very next day I followed up via email simply to ask if they received results of my test, but I didn’t get any replies this time. Go figure.

Perhaps what had happened to me is an isolated incident, but based on my experiences I will NOT recommend Onforce to any IT company or individual.

Coincidently, I stumbled upon Ripoff Report website on which there’s quite a few reports from various sources about Onforce being a rip-off, not treating its members fairly. Here’s just a few heading just to name a few:


• OnForce, Computer Repair, Jeffrey Leventhal, Ripoff Does Not Pay Contractor Taken For Large Amount Of Money New York New York Internet
• Rebuttal Onforce DO NOT USE ONFORCE EVER Lexington Massachusetts
• OnForce Blows No way can you make money with them ripoff New York New York
• OnForce ripoff Shady Unqualified Techs Internet

Take a look.



Update: 10/06/2008


Shortly after making this post (less than 24h) I had received a few apologetic follow-up emails from Onforce staff offering help with activation process. Not only they offered help with expediting activation of my profile but they have also acknowledged the failure of their training authentication system.

Frankly, I was surprised how seriously the issue was taken (at least how it was expressed in emails) and how many people were personally involved to eradicate the problem. That tells me that someone listens.

It didn’t take more than 12h and I received an email from Verification stating that my Onforce profile was active and available to buyers creating Work Orders. I just wish this was a bit easier :)

Let’s see what happens next.

7 comments:

  1. Most things that you see on Rip Off Report are posted by people that give techs and OnForce a bad name. Most likely these are people you wouldn't want to be associated with especially on a professional level. Keeping these shady techs off the platform gives credit to those who do quality work making the tech base a professional, qualified and desirable one. This keeps the work orders flowing to OnForce and to the tech base. OnForce suspends people for a reason and takes no joy in doing so. They need the Techs and hope more join. Are you an OnForce tech PhillyLad?

    As far as the Rip Off Report site there are many issues with its credentials and overall validity of the postings. Please take the time to view this site; http://www.goodbusinessbureau.com/
    Please become educated prior to forming an opinion about the posts found on the Rip Off Report as well as the people posting/linking there.

    It also seems that in the post by "PhillyLad" he does have good things to say about OnForce and their dedication to their tech base so I am not sure why he would want to affiliate with a spam site such as Rip Off Report.
    For example I am sure Kontech has some clients/customers that have had less than perfect experiences. If those folks post to Rip Off Report is that a fair evaluation of Kontech? Probably not as I am sure they are a quality company that does professional work. What if these claims are made by competitors or otherwise less than honest folks? (It would be very easy to do so.) The answer is that Rip Off Report would rank on the Kontech keyword and potentially drive away business especially if folks linked to it form their blogs. I feel that this is bad business and hope this practice ends. I suggest folks form an educated opinion and discuss these opinions without giving “black hat” sites undeserved cred. I hope that PhillyLad and Kontech do not have to deal with a site such as Rip Off Report and that people who do view these sights are able to “consider the source.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this blog have a moderator? PhillyLad? I was hoping for a response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you are ever ripped off by onforce kindly contact us with your story by email obello@debello.org, we are working on a law suit

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you are ever ripped off by onforce kindly contact us with your story by email obello@debello.org, we are working on a law suit

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are working on a law suit against onforce. kindly contact us with your story.
    obello@debello.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am amazed by some of the comments I see here such as people giving onforce a bad name: What do you think OnForce stands for. I bet you support sweatshop and slavery in China. OnForce is nothing but a sweatshop. A number of IT companies have either lay off their technicians or choose not to hire any techs with high wages and benefits because of OnForce. It is the destruction of the IT labor force. As a tech you may not be willing to fix a computer for $20, but I bet you a majority of techs are willing to do it. And why would any employer hire IT workers to be part of their staff when they can just go on Onforce as a slave master and pay whatever they feel like by submitting work order as a flat rate. Some of those buyers like Pomeroy get $1000 for a job and pay a $65 fee to have it completed. As a matter of fact Pomeroy has laid off a number of its workers because of OnForce. OnForce is the force of evil for all. You think OnForce is so great because you are able to complete a couple of $65 work order. The fact is you are missing the bigger picture.

    JOIN US AT ONFORCESUCKS.COM TO LEARN MORE, THE SECRETS BEHIND THIS GIANT IT SWEATSHOP.

    What exactly is OnForce?
    The new form of sweatshops in America.

    OnForce is a national technology sweatshop network that connects service buyers known as IT slave masters with highly skilled service professionals known as IT slaves (They have no power whatsoever once joining the sweatshop, except accept or do not accept work order) easily, efficiently, and profitably for the IT slave masters.

    The OnForce model assembled the largest number of technicians from all across the country professional or non professionals, force them to compete and pay them low wages for high technical work. It surely provides a competitive edge for the slave masters on OnForce such as Promeroy. As OnForce points out to the slave masters AKA Providers "Best of all, since you can set your own price for your service events, you have ultimate flexibility and can effectively manage cost containment." It simply means sweatshop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I been working for onforce for a long time. I also have worked for many other companies doing wiring and network installs. OnForce pays quickly - that helps. I mean days, not weeks or months, like some of my contract clients.
    As far as pay, and techs doing my job for $20, not gonna happen. First of all, I only accept jobs that pay right ($45hourly at least). If the buyer is underpaying, I just ask for a rate increase. If he doesn't want to pay, I just don't accept the work order.
    When a buyer (person who needs to send a tech onsite) likes you and your performance they will pay more, and route the work orders directly to you.
    It's not retail sales, and you don't make 100% what you would if some business came in off the street and wanted their office wired up and networked, but still you get the work, you deny your competitor, and they pay quickly. What else do you want?
    Oh, and by the way, they cover you with insurance if you fall off a ladder. It's probably better than most of the calls you would be otherwise running.
    Now don't be a sissy - let's get out there and close some calls!

    ReplyDelete